PS VR action-adventure Fracked launches this summer – PlayStation.Blog
Grab your PS VR and Move controllers! A true breakthrough VR action adventure is coming this summer! Fracked seamlessly combines fast-paced 1: 1 run and cover gunplay with exhilarating free running, skiing and climbing never seen before on VR.
You can watch the teaser trailer here:
I love gaming and I love VR – it has so much potential, especially for us gamers. Ever since I started in VR many years ago, I’ve longed for a real action adventure that incorporates the gameplay depth and freedom of traditional games with the immersion and control that you only get in VR. I don’t want to just play games and watch movies on a TV when I can literally be the hero in my own VR action movie. I’m also frustrated with the limitations of on-rails and stationary experiences – we’ve gone beyond that. With Fracked, we set out to develop a VR game from the ground up that would enable all of this and seamlessly combine combat and free traversal gameplay in a single experience, just like the transition between walking and driving when walking in and out Getting out of cars an action game.
In Fracked, we cast the hero who was thrown into battle as the hero. Deep in a mountain fracking facility is the region taken over by an army of weapon-wielding, interdimensional maniacs known as (you guessed it) Fracked! As a last hope for the world, you must turn her off before it’s too late … We’re not going for any subtlety here – she’s brave, bold and uncompromising in her vision.
And so is the gameplay – it’s fast, exciting, and accessible. Skiing, running, climbing, base jumping and ziplining are possible and run seamlessly and fluidly. There is no on-rail gameplay or cinematic cutscenes here. Everything is 1: 1 and controlled by the controls, movements and actions of the player. Combat is also unrestricted and combines free movement for outflanking opponents with 1: 1 cover and the reloading of tactile weapons. What we’ve shown so far is just scratching the surface – we can’t wait to show the breadth and variety of the game in the months to come.
Here are some other nuggets about the game that I want to share:
- Without shame, this is a real VR game that can only be done with PS Move controllers! Climbing, ziplining, reloading and interactions in the world are all controlled 1: 1 by the player’s hands. We couldn’t do this with a traditional gamepad.
- When skiing, you have to lean physically to steer and control. Like the rest of the game, it’s built into the fight – we’ll be showing this over the coming weeks.
- We named the fighting game “Run and Cover” because it combines run and gun action with an innovative 1: 1 grabbable cover system to create a brand new VR-only fighting style. Not only does it play out differently than before, it also feels different.
- To maximize the 360˚ potential of VR and our free vision of movement, we developed arena-style combat encounters that double the verticality.
- While we were aiming for a new, stylish take on classic action cinema – think a 2021 version of Die Hard or Cliffhanger – beneath the surface there’s a cutting-edge robocop-style satire about corporate greed and climate change. If Paul Verhoeven were to make a VR game (which would be AMAZING) we don’t think it would be a million miles from Fracked!
- The game receives PS5 improvements! Those who play on PS5 can expect improved frame rates, load times, and resolution. For those who play on PS4 and PS4 Pro, fear not, it looks and plays the same amazing.
- We can assure you that it is a total coincidence that the name sounds a lot like a popular / unpopular profanity.
We can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on it. Fracked launches exclusively on PS VR this summer. In the meantime, we’d love to hear what you think! Let us know in the comments below.